Advanced Ndt Technician
Oceaneering is a global provider of Inspection, engineered services and products to various industries and both on and offshore. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering serves industries such as oil & gas, mining, infrastructure, defence, entertainment and aerospace. Oceaneering's business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deep water intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing, inspection, integrity services, engineering and project management.
The NDT Technician is responsible for using a range of analysis techniques used in the Inspection Industry to evaluate the properties of a material, component or system without causing damage. The technician will typically complete NDT inspection works at the Jandakot facility or at a Client’s site. Remote site inspections are undertaken at onshore/offshore facilities. Inspection works undertaken in remote project sites is demanding due to the work locations, extreme temperatures and extended work shifts.
Duties & Responsibilities
- An individual certified to Level I has demonstrated competence to carry out NDT according to written instructions and under the supervision of Level II or Level III personnel. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level I personnel may perform the following with NDT instructions:
- Set up NDT equipment;
- Perform/conduct the tests;
- Record and classify the results of the tests according to written criteria; and
- Populate a report under supervision.
- An individual certified to Level II has demonstarted competence to perform NDT according to NDT procedures. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate. Level II shall be competent in:
- Select the NDT technique for the test method to be used;
- Define the limitations of application of the testing method;
- Translate NDT code, standards, specifications and procedures into NDT instructions adapted to the actual working conditions;
- Set up and verify equipment settings;
- Perform and supervise tests;
- Interpret and evaluate results according to applicable standards, codes specifications or procedures;
- Prepare written instructions;
- Carry out and supervise all tasks at or below Level II, and
- Report the results of non-destructive tests.
- An individual certified to Level III has demonstrated competence to perform direct NDT operations for which certified. The Level III shall be compenent with the following:
- Evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes and specifications;
- Has sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select NDT methods, establish NDT techniques, and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where otherwise are not available;
- General familiarity across other NDT methods;
- Where applicable assume technical responsibility for facility NDT staff;
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate NDT instructions and procedures;
- Designate the particular test methods, techniques and procedures to be used within the scope and limitations of any certification held;
- Carry out tasks at all levels; and
- Provide supervision and guidance for NDT personnel at all levels.
Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- This position has NO direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Supervisor /Offshore Coordinator
- Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) ISO9712 certification
- Liquid Penetrant Inspection (LPI) ISO9712 certification
- Dye Penetrant Testing (PT2);
- Radiography (RT) ISO 9712 certification
- Radiation License (Relevant State)
- Radiographic Interpretation (RI) ISO 9712 certification
- Ultrasonic Inspection (UT) ISO9712 certification
- Eddy Current Welds (ETW) ISO9712 certification
- Phased Array (PA) ISO9712 certification
- Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) ISO9712 certification
- Eddy Current Tubes (ETT) ISO9712 certification
- Welding Inspection (WI) CSWIP
- American Petroleum Institute (API) inspector
- Australian Institute of Certification of In-service Personnel (AICIP) Inspector
Depending on the NDT Technician Level and speciality, the depth of knowledge will vary.
- The various NDT techniques available, how, when and why to use each a technique;
- Writing of worksheets and reports;
- Safety standards/HSEQ/Step back 5 x5 and JSEA; and
- NATA Requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ensures that important information from management is shared with employees and others as appropriate
- Gives and receives constructive feedback
- Ensures that others involved in a project or effort are kept informed about developments and plans
- Ensures that regular consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility
This position is considered WORKSHOP/OUTDOOR WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Thermal influence - Role is performed in outside environment with temperatures which can reach up to approx 50 degrees Celcius. High risk of thermal stress associated with role for remote site operations and CBD projects during the summer months.
- Fatigue - Ability to tolerate 10-12 hour shift with high physical endurance tasks.
- Stress - Psychosocial impact of working a FIFO work schedule, work tasks are based on meters drill so there may be associated production stress within team.
- Work in isolation - Technicans usually operate in teams.
- Dust - Contact with dust and particulate matter (e.g. silica, aerosols).
- Vibration - Minimal vibration – exceptions for some hand tools-minimal use.
The physical demands described in the Asset Integrity-Occupational Role Profile- NDT Technician are the representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: