Procurement Category Manager
A broad and cross-functional role, the Category Manager reports to the National Manager - Claims Procurement with the overall goal of being a trusted commercial business partner to the Property Claims Supply Chain Team. By providing end-to-end procurement support in respect of Property and Contents related supply chain(s), the Category Manager will help ensure Property Claims delivers solutions that support QBE customers whilst delivering commercial value and appropriately managing risk. As a Category Manager you will be responsible for the end-to-end Procurement process and you will take full responsibility for all suppliers and supply chains within these categories of scope to ensure they meet QBE’s business and customer needs.
Type: Fixed term contract – 12 months, full time
Your part in a changing world
At QBE, we’re driven by our purpose – to give people the confidence to achieve their ambitions.
We are an international insurer and reinsurer offering a diverse portfolio of commercial, personal and specialty products, as well as risk management solutions. Our product portfolio includes property, motor, crop, energy, marine and aviation. We employee a team of more than 11,800 people, in 27 countries around the world.
A broad and cross-functional role, the Procurement Property Category Manager reports to the National Manager - Claims Procurement with the overall goal of being a trusted commercial business partner to the Property Claims Supply Chain Team. By providing end-to-end procurement support in respect of Property and Contents claims related supply chain(s), the Category Manager will help ensure Property Claims delivers solutions that support QBE customers whilst delivering commercial value and managing risk. As the Category Manager you will be responsible for the end-to-end Procurement process and you will take full responsibility for all suppliers and supply chains within Property and Contents claims to ensure they meet QBE’s business and customer needs.
Strategy and Planning
- Development and implementation of annual category strategies across Property and Contents supply chain(s), including engagement with Property Claims Supply Chain, Operations and Strategy to identify relevant initiatives
- Provides insight on future direction of category, continuously considering market and scanning horizon
- Successful implementation of best practice, well defined procurement processes with compliance to associated Policies and Procedures (see below)
- Provide subject matter expertise and advice in defining the appropriate sourcing approaches based on category & situation (e.g. RFPs) and the selection of appropriate methodologies, tools and technologies for the sourcing process
- Business case (and other project documentation) development to drive specific initiatives in line with overall category strategy, supports customers whilst delivering commercial value and service enhancements to the Claims business
- Work constructively with internal teams (eg- Legal, Risk/Compliance, IT Security) to support the business in finalising contract documentation and undertaking supplier on-boarding and ongoing risk assessments as part of SRM implementation
Policy, Process and Procedures
- Manage end to end procurement process in accordance with internal Procurement and Supplier Management Policy, supporting Procedure documents and Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) Framework.
- Work to embed the AUSPAC Procurement Sustainability Strategy within the Property and Contents categories, including consideration of diverse suppliers in new tenders, ensuring compliance with QBE’s Supplier Sustainability Principles and the Modern Slavery Act.
Stakeholder Management and Supplier Performance
- Work with Property Claims Supply Chain and Operations stakeholders to drive the improvement of supplier performance through proactively managing relationships, measure performance against contractual requirements, service standards and adherence to commercial provisions and SRM Framework
- Structured supplier performance/relationship management framework developed and in place relevant to the category.
- Generate value and benefits through developing supply and sourcing strategies that lead to customer satisfaction, commercial value, approved supplier compliance and demand management in identified areas of third party spend
- Demonstrates the value of data driven decision making to the business by supporting all commercial interactions in the procurement lifecycle and supply chain, where appropriate, with rigorous analysis and reporting together with project documentation evidencing decision-making
- Skilful project and change management approach to Procurement initiatives, including stakeholder influencing and engagement
Your story so far
- Experienced Procurement professional, with proven ability to develop and deliver strategic category vision, clear understanding of direct procurement management and experienced in best practices, tools and techniques.
- Experience in Financial Services and/or direct related supply chains (especially customer facing supply chains) is preferred but not essential
- Demonstrated experience in procurement project execution (including business case and other project documentation, commercial negotiation skills and supplier management)
- Developed Analytical and Financial modelling skills, including ability to put together business cases that identify TCO and calculation of NPV (if applicable)
- Advanced knowledge of standard Microsoft Suite tools (advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint) together with experience or with data management tools like PowerApps, Tableau and presentation software such as PowerBI
- Demonstrated Project and Change management skill, including an ability to lead and mobilise projects and communicate effectively with all levels of organisation and external suppliers
- Able to problem solve, adapt and work collaboratively with other teams/units to resolve issues and develop better solutions
- Demonstrated commercial acumen. Ability to interrogate spend cubes to establish spend baseline and insights, grasping the commercial drivers and extracting key information for decision-making and delivering superior negotiated outcomes
- Experience with contract development and execution, including understanding of key contractual obligations (including Service Level Agreement measurement and review)
- Supplier management experience in compliance with a supplier management framework ensuring performance, risk/compliance is managed while maturing towards supplier innovation and continuous improvement with strategic suppliers
- Experience in driving sustainability within supply chains in support of Business Unit and organisational ambition, including for example support of indigenous/minority businesses and communities
- Bachelor (or more advanced) Degree in commerce, economics, business or similar
We are here to support you
We are proud to have been Voted #5 in the 2019 Top 20 Australian Workplaces for New Dads - HBF Direct Advice for Dads and we achieved Gold employer status in the 2019 Australian LGBTI Inclusion Awards.
We also offer a range of benefits to help provide holistic support for your work life, whatever your circumstance.
As a QBE employee, we will offer you:
- A nationally recognised qualification in Customer Engagement for successful candidates. We strongly believe in your success and fundamental to your success is the opportunity to learn and grow both personally and professionally.
- Flex@QBE leave to enhance your work/life integration
- Our ‘At My Best’ wellbeing program, which includes a free 12-month subscription to Headspace
- Access to ‘Share the Care’ – 12 weeks’ flexible leave for new parents inclusive of paid superannuation
- Income protection insurance and reimbursed Death and Total Permanent Disability insurance premiums
- Access to REACH My Best - free holistic wellbeing coaching, nutritional, financial and legal advice and confidential counselling
- Discounts on insurance products, car hire, hotels, goods and services
- Benefits through our various sports and arts sponsorship partners such as free and discounted tickets.
Click APPLY to submit your application. Successful applicants will need to complete work rights, police and credit checks through our online provider as a condition of employment.
QBE recognise the value of diverse perspectives and experience. We are committed to an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected for who they are. If we can provide support with access requirements, alternative work arrangements or you would like to connect with one of our networks please contact us at
Number of Openings:1
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click "Apply" and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: